Saturday, April 17, 2010

Dispatch from Illigan City, Philippines

Greetings from a wearied traveler,

After a 20 plus hour flight, a 12 hour time zone change, and two restless nights of jet lag... I am happy to report that I have reached the area of my final destination. It is scorching (100+) from the moment the sun rises- sometime around 5am- I know cause I had breakfast with the sun the last two days. The preachers joke here that they have two seasons in the Philippines, Hot and Hotter, April is the in the latter.

Illigan is a busy city on the sea with bountiful harvest of seafood; last nights dinner was calamari, sweat and sour chicken, and fried chicken. While certainly and eclectic mix, it was tasty and lighter than one would imagine, and as is with everything in the Philippines served wi a huge plate of rice. Better yet was the beautiful view from the restaraunt porch as we dined on the shores of the Pacific setting sun. Waves crashed gentily against the rocks as the surf and tides swept slowly along the shore. Children and families played peacefully in the sand, presenting a view of paradise most Americans seldomly experience- those from the Midwest at least.

But beyond the natural beauty of the islands is the raw experience of the people. Friendly and welcoming as they are all hustle and bustle throughout their daily lives. Illigan, unlike the madness on the streets of Manila (one of the most populated cities in the world) produces charming and warm people with warm smiles and an eagerness to help you- for the small sum of any donation you are willing to supply.

This being my second excursion to the Philippines, I cannot help but observing the large large element of aging, white American and western European men. One will see them walking hand in hand down the street with Philippino women a fraction of their age. To be perfectly honest, the sight of them creeped me out in my first visit. But this time I met one such gentleman on my plane ride from Manila to Cagayan de Oro.

Let's call him Terry from Arkansas.

We struck up and easy conversation being the only two Americans on the plane and being about a foot taller than everyone else. Through Terry's thick good ole boy accent, i sensed an underlying nervousness. He admitted that this was His first ever flight. I then asked the most natural follow up question,"how is it that your first flight was to the Philippines?"

"Because of Annie."

Annie was a Fillipino woman half his age from the pictures he showed me.

"Annie saved my life," he said in His thick accent. " I've never met her in real life but I feel like I know her more than I have ever met anyone before. This time I am going to do the marriage thing right," the father of four confessed.

And there it was... A human face on what I had previous thought somewhat disturbing.

We are all looking for redemption. Some of us just know where to look better than others. Some travel the world looking for a second chance. The truth is that God has given us the task of preaching, bring, giving the Gospel free of charge. The Gospel is the truth of the redemption of all men through Jesus Christ. Yet some how Terry found himself halfway around the world looking for what Jesus purchased for Him on Calvary.

This Sunday morning I am glad that my searching is over. I praise God that my journey is not one of inquest but of commission. That when I was like Terry, lost and confused I found in Him a resting place, the Holy Spirit. Be thankful for your church and your relationship with God. Without Him the world is a very big place.

Because of the way all airports are set up in the Philippines me and Terry walked out together. I told him that I was a pastor and to be encouraged that everything would be alright. He asked me to pray, and I did right there by the baggage claim. As we left the airport a young woman that I recognized from the picture in his wallet ran toward him and jumped in his arms.

" Because of Annie?"

No, Terry, because of Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Great entry I'm glad you have the opprotunity to spread the word of God to those who could barely afford food let alone a bible good luck with everything and God bless you

    ReplyDelete